Office de Tourisme de la Trimouille
Le Poitou est un haut lieu de la mouvance religieuse au moyen-âge. Ces quelques images vous feront découvrir les richesses de ce patrimoine régional.

Edifices religieux / Churchs

  • Brigueil-le-Chantre : Eglise Saint-Hilaire / Church of Saint Hilaire

    Brigueil-le-Chantre : Eglise Saint-Hilaire / Church of Saint Hilaire

    L‘église St Hilaire XIIe et XVe siècle est construite au sommet du plateau et dans le périmètre de l’enceinte fortifiée.

    Le haut clocher massif permettait de surveiller le gué. Elle s’intègre parfaitement dans le système défensif de l‘époque.

    Church of Saint Hilaire
    The St Hilaire church was built from the 12th to the 15th century on the top of the plateau and within the fortifications.
    The massive high bell-tower enabled a watch to be kept over the ford. The church was perfectly integrated in the defence system of the time.

    Brigueil-le-Chantre : Eglise Saint-Hilaire / Church of Saint Hilaire Brigueil-le-Chantre : Eglise Saint-Hilaire / Church of Saint Hilaire
  • Coulonges : Eglise Saint-Pierre-et-Saint Paul / Church of Saint-Pierre and Saint Paul

    Coulonges : Eglise Saint-Pierre-et-Saint Paul / Church of Saint-Pierre and Saint Paul

    L‘église, XIIe et XVe siècle est l’ancienne église du prieuré-cure dépendant de l’abbaye Saint-Augustin de Limoges. Alors que les murs sont en pierres de ramassage assez grossières, le portail nord du XVème

    ... a été réalisé dans un calcaire à grain fin. D’imposantes statues sont déposées de part et d’autre du triplet de chœur. Autrefois, le 24 juin, les statues étaient associées à un « voyage » autour d’une fontaine toute proche.

    Church of Saint-Pierre and Saint Paul
    The church, built from the 12th to the 15th century, was the former church of the priory belonging to the Abbey of St Augustin in Limoges. Although the walls were built of rough stone, the 15th century north portal was built from fine-grained limestone. Imposing statues were left here and there in the triplet of the choir. In the past, on 24 June, the statues were associated with a procession around a nearby fountain.

    Coulonges : Eglise Saint-Pierre-et-Saint Paul / Church of Saint-Pierre and Saint Paul Coulonges : Eglise Saint-Pierre-et-Saint Paul / Church of Saint-Pierre and Saint Paul
  • Haims : Eglise Saint-Michel / Church of Saint Michel

    Haims : Eglise Saint-Michel / Church of Saint Michel

    L‘église des XIe, XIIIe et XVe siècles, remaniée à différentes époques est mentionnée dès 1093 sous la forme « ecclesia Sancti-Michaelis de Aent ». Le chœur de l‘église est réaménagé et décoré au milieu du XVIIIe siècle.

    Signées et datées « Pacourd 1765 », ces peintures sont l‘œuvre d’un artiste local. Elles constituent un exemple rare de peinture religieuse de cette époque. A la fin du XIXe siècle l’abbé Eugène Bonnin, curé d’Haims, l’orne de peintures, renouant de façon naïve avec la tradition médiévale. A l’extérieur des inscriptions en lettres gothiques attestent des travaux de maçonnerie et de charpente en 1322 et 1420.

    Church of Saint Michel
    The church (11th, 13th and 15 century) was modified at different periods and was mentioned from 1093 as the «ecclesia Sancti-Michaelis de Aent». The choir of the church was refurbished and decorated in the middle of the 18th century.

    Signed and dated «Pacourd 1765», the paintings were the work of a local artist. They are a rare example of religious paintings of that time. At the end of the 19th century the abbot Eugène Bonnin, the priest at Haims, decorated the church with paintings, in a naïve style, thereby renewing the link with medieval tradition. Outside, inscriptions in gothic script prove that carpentry and building works were carried out in 1322 and 1420.

    Haims : Eglise Saint-Michel / Church of Saint Michel Haims : Eglise Saint-Michel / Church of Saint Michel
  • Journet : Abbaye de Villesalem / Abbey of Villesalem

    Journet : Abbaye de Villesalem / Abbey of Villesalem

    Au XIe siècle, des courants religieux importants entraînent des croyants à rechercher la communion avec Dieu dans des lieux isolés.

    C’est dans ce contexte que le seigneur de La Trémoïlle donne son mas de Villesalem à des ermites qui vivent à Fontgombault. La communauté réunit des religieuses et des moines qui vivent séparément sous l’autorité de l’abbesse. L‘église de Villesalem est la seule qui subsiste des six prieurés fontevristes établis dans la Vienne. Le chevet porte encore les stigmates des guerres de Cent ans et de religion. Le prieuré de Villesalem vendu à la Révolution est transformé en bâtiment agricole jusqu’en 1914, date à laquelle il est classé. Son rachat par l‘état, en 1961, met un terme à sa lente dégradation.

    Abbey of Villesalem
    In the 11th century, believers sought communion with God in isolated places. It is in this context that the Lord of La Trémoille gave his farmhouse at Villesalem to hermits who lived at Fontgombault. The community brought together nuns and monks who lived separately under the authority of the abbess. The church of Villesalem is the only one that remains of the six fontevristes priories established in the Vienne. The chevet still bears the marks of the Hundred Years’ War and religious wars. The priory of Villesalem was sold at the time of the Revolution, and it was used as a farm building until 1914. At this time it became a listed building. The State bought back Villesalem in 1961, putting an end to its slow deterioration.

    Journet : Abbaye de Villesalem / Abbey of Villesalem Journet : Abbaye de Villesalem / Abbey of Villesalem
  • Journet : Lanterne des morts / Lantern of the Dead

    Journet : Lanterne des morts / Lantern of the Dead

    A l’origine, elle était placée dans l’ancien cimetière. Aujourd’hui, cette lanterne des morts du XIIe siècle est située au centre du village.

    Une porte ouverte à la base de la colonne, et des encoches pratiquées à l’intérieur permettaient d’accéder au lanternon et d’y allumer une flamme pour certaines occasions.

    Lantern of the Dead
    Originally, the 12th century Lantern of the Dead was in the old cemetery. Today, it is in the centre of the village. An open door at the base of the column and notches made inside allow access to the lantern tower and a flame to be lit for certain occasions.

    Journet : Lanterne des morts / Lantern of the Dead Journet : Lanterne des morts / Lantern of the Dead
  • Journet : Prieuré Saint-Jean / Priory of Saint Jean

    Journet : Prieuré Saint-Jean / Priory of Saint Jean

    Ce prieuré-cure est fondé au XIIe siècle. Le portail d’entrée est de style limousin. Il est vendu comme bien national en 1796.

    Aujourd’hui il est dénommé « Prieuré Saint-Jean » par la population, tandis que la chapelle Saint-Jean du cimetière est nommée église Saint-Martin. Le changement de vocable a pu se faire après la vente du prieuré.

    Priory of Saint Jean
    This priory was founded in the 12th century. The entrance portal is in the Limousin style. The priory was confiscated by the State during the Revolution and sold in 1796. Today it is called the Priory of Saint Jean by local people, whereas the cemetery chapel Saint Jean is called the church of Saint Martin. The change in name was probably made after the sale of the priory.

    Journet : Prieuré Saint-Jean / Priory of Saint Jean Journet : Prieuré Saint-Jean / Priory of Saint Jean
  • La Trimouille : Eglise Saint-Pierre / Church of Saint Pierre

    La Trimouille : Eglise Saint-Pierre / Church of Saint Pierre

    Les fresques encore visibles à l’intérieur, permettent l’hypothèse d’une datation de l’ouvrage aux environs de 1160-1180.

    De style roman, elle a été désaffectée à la suite de la Révolution, puis vendue à des particuliers en 1794. Elle sert depuis de bâtiment agricole.

    Church of Saint Pierre
    The frescoes, which are still visible inside, show that the church could date from 1160-1180. The church, built in the Romanesque style, was deconscretated following the Revolution. It was then sold to private owners in 1794. Since then it has been used as a farm building.

    La Trimouille : Eglise Saint-Pierre / Church of Saint Pierre La Trimouille : Eglise Saint-Pierre / Church of Saint Pierre
  • Liglet : Abbaye de Fontmoron / Abbey of Fontmoron

    Liglet : Abbaye de Fontmoron / Abbey of Fontmoron

    Au XIIe siècle, le seigneur de La Trémouille donne des terres à Pierre de l’Etoile, fondateur de Fontgombault, afin d’y créer un prieuré.

    Les moines, aidés de laïcs, défrichent la brande et exploitent les terres.

    Abbey of Fontmoron
    In the 12th century, the Lord of La Trémouille gave some land to Pierre de l’Etoile, the founder of Fontgombault, in order to create a priory there. The monks, helped by lay people, cleared and worked the land.

    Liglet : Abbaye de Fontmoron / Abbey of Fontmoron Liglet : Abbaye de Fontmoron / Abbey of Fontmoron
  • Liglet : Chapelle de Marcilly / Chapel of Marcilly

    Liglet : Chapelle de Marcilly / Chapel of Marcilly

    Le prieuré Sainte-Marguerite de Marcilly dépend de l’abbaye de Saint-Savin. Il est cité en 1093. La chapelle actuelle est romane.

    Elle a été rénovée en 2005/2006, et son jardin a été également réaménagé.

    Chapel of Marcilly
    The Priory of Saint Marguerite of Marcilly comes under the authority of the abbey of Saint Savin. It was mentioned in 1093. The current chapel is in the romanesque style. The chapel was renovated in 2005/2006, and its garden has also been recreated.

    Liglet : Chapelle de Marcilly / Chapel of Marcilly Liglet : Chapelle de Marcilly / Chapel of Marcilly
  • Liglet : Eglise Saint-Hilaire-et-Sainte-Marguerite / Church of Saint Hilaire and Saint Marguerite

    Liglet : Eglise Saint-Hilaire-et-Sainte-Marguerite / Church of Saint Hilaire and Saint Marguerite

    Le chevet plat et la nef remontent au XIe siècle, comme l’attestent les écrits de 1093. L‘église est donnée en1102 par l‘évêque de Poitiers à l’abbaye de St Savin.

    La porte romane ouverte au sud est murée au XVe siècle et remplacée par une porte Renaissance moulurée. Son linteau est un réemploi d’une pierre tombale gravée d’une épée. Son bénitier roman est l’un des plus anciens de la Vienne.

    Church of Saint Hilaire and Saint Marguerite
    The flat chevet and the nave go back to the 11th century, as shown in writings of 1093. In 1102 the church was given to the abbey of St Savin by the bishop of Poitiers. The romanesque door at the south end was walled up in the 15th century and replaced by a Renaissance moulded door. Its lintel is made from a tombstone engraved with a sword. The romananesque font is one of the oldest in the Vienne.

    Liglet : Eglise Saint-Hilaire-et-Sainte-Marguerite / Church of Saint Hilaire and Saint Marguerite Liglet : Eglise Saint-Hilaire-et-Sainte-Marguerite / Church of Saint Hilaire and Saint Marguerite
  • Saint-Léomer : Eglise Saint-Léomer / Church of Saint Léomer

    Saint-Léomer : Eglise Saint-Léomer / Church of Saint Léomer

    Créé au XIIe siècle, le prieuré-cure de St-Léomer dépend des Augustins de Lesterps. L‘église est dédiée à St-Léomer, prêtre du diocèse de Chartres au VIe siècle.

    En façade, le pignon triangulaire a été surélevé en 1820.

    Church of Saint Léomer
    Created in the 12th century, the priory belongs to the Augustins of Lesterps. The church is dedicated to St Léomer, priest of the diocese of Chartres in the 6th century. At the front, the gable was heightened in 1820.

    Saint-Léomer : Eglise Saint-Léomer / Church of Saint Léomer Saint-Léomer : Eglise Saint-Léomer / Church of Saint Léomer
  • Thollet : Eglise Notre-Dame / Church of Notre Dame

    Thollet : Eglise Notre-Dame / Church of Notre Dame

    Construite à partir du XIIe siècle, la nef et le chœur à chevet plat sont de style roman. Le clocher octogonal, plus tardif, a la particularité, à cause d’un défaut de charpente, de pencher vers l’ouest, ...

    ... ce qui a longtemps empêché de sonner les cloches, censées disperser les nuages de grêle. Très vénérée, la statue de St Roch en bois polychrome, était portée en procession le lundi de Pâques.

    Church of Notre Dame
    The church was built from the 12th century. The nave and the choir with a flat chevet are in the romanesque style. The octagonal bell tower was built later. The tower is unusual because of a building defect which causes it to lean to the west. For a long time this has prevented the ringing of the bells which were supposed to scatter the ice clouds. The statue of St Roch, in multi-coloured wood, was highly venerated and was carried in the procession on Easter Monday.

    Thollet : Eglise Notre-Dame / Church of Notre Dame Thollet : Eglise Notre-Dame / Church of Notre Dame